Thank you for considering allowing the Oberman & Rice Law Firm to assist you. If you have not already done so, please schedule an appointment with one of our lawyers as soon as possible. We are available 24/7 by telephone for emergencies. Your chances of success increas dramatically if we begin our defense soon after your arrest. We hope you will find the information below useful to review before meeting with us.
- We are located on the 7th floor of the Bank of America Bldg. in downtown Knoxville. Specific directions to our office may be found by clicking here: Contact Us. Please note that the most convenient place to park is in our building, which may be accessed from Locust Street or Hill Avenue.
- Information about the experience of each lawyer may be found by clicking on the link of the respective lawyer under the heading of “Our Firm” found in the main menu above.
- Read about the details of many Tennessee criminal offenses found on our website. Listen to our podcasts that contain additional information about topics including Tennessee criminal procedures and issues unique to Tennessee DUI cases. You may also wish to review our blog entries for additional information about Tennessee criminal laws and legal developments in general.
We believe in educating our clients as much as possible. Doing so allows them to make informed decisions about their case and has the added benefit of relieving a lot of the anxiety associated with their arrest.
- Many of our clients prefer to bring their spouse, significant other, friend or family member to the initial appointment. We actually prefer to have these people present when we explain to you the details of elements of the crime, the procedures, penalties and our opinion of the likely outcome of your case.
However, unless the accompanying person(s) is/are closely related to the Defendant (e.g., parent-child, husband-wife), the communication to the lawyer about the facts of the case may lose its privileged nature. Accordingly, please let us know the relationship of the accompanying person(s) upon your arrival at the office. Additionally, you may advise us prior to your arrival at the office if you prefer to be alone when you discuss the facts of your case with the lawyer.
- Finally, it is important in many cases to begin the investigation immediately. We won’t be able to make that determination until after our meeting with you. If yours is one of those cases, it will be necessary for you to bring 2 checks with you–one for partial payment of attorney fees (fees may also be paid by credit card or bank transfer, but there is a “convenience fee” for both) and the second check for the escrow account to pay for case expenses such a copy of the video recording (case expenses may not be paid by credit card or bank transfer).
We will obtain a copy of the charging instrument, such as an arrest warrant, and other necessary
documents prior to your appointment. We look forward to meeting you.
Roadblocks and Sobriety Checkpoints
Did you know that publicizing a roadblock/sobriety checkpoint is a factor used by the courts indetermining whether a roadblock meets federal and Tennessee constitutional requirements? Thisfactor is considered because a roadblock or sobriety checkpoint (the terms are generallysynonymous in the […]Read More
New Tennessee Crime: Aggravated Reckless Driving
Effective July 1, 2022, the Tennessee Legislature created the new Tennessee Crime of Aggravated Reckless Driving. A person who “intentionally or knowingly impedes traffic upon a public street, highway, alley, parking lot, or driveway, or on the premises of a […]Read More
Boating Under the Influence (BUI) May Now Be Used to Enhance a Sentence for Tennessee Driving Under the Influence (DUI)
Beginning July 1, 2022, a conviction for a Tennessee Boating Under the Influence (BUI) offense may be used to increase the penalties when a person is charged in Tennessee with Driving Under the Influence (DUI). Prior to July 1, 2022, […]Read More
contact us today for a free consultation
We reply to non-urgent after-hours requests for consultation within 24 hours. For after-hour emergencies, please call us at (865) 249-7200.